Big Food, Big Pharma and the Medical Industry all profit from diabetes. Diabetes “costs” us all greatly, for non-diabetics it’s ‘only’ money, but for diabetics it’s money and quality of life issues.
- Diabetes Money Trail
- Greed for money and power are the root of many of our planet’s ills.
The graph below shows the large picture of the DIABETES MONEY TRAIL. Take a look at the Figure and we’ll discuss it further below.
Note: This is a simplistic view. Public and Private insurance money is paid to many groups including the medical industry. This post looks at just the Big Pharma (large drug companies) piece of the pie.
Diabetes Money Trail
1) ALL taxpayers “pay” for diabetic treatments reimbursed by Medicare/Medicaid.
2) Everyone that has private insurance helps pay for diabetic treatments. That is the nature of insurance, the costs are spread out over all of the insurance policyholders.
Diabetes and diabetic complications cause or contribute to approximately $245 BILLION dollars annually in the US. This number is from 2012, the cost is much higher now, I’m sure.
Note: Remember, when anyone mentions ‘cost’ … that’s revenue for someone. The $254 billion, is revenue for the Medical Industry.
3) Private and Public Insurances collected monies from the public. These monies end up padding the pockets of BIG PHARMA (click here to learn about Big Pharma) , these are paid to Big Pharma in the form of insurance payments for drugs and diabetic supplies.
4) Big Pharma dispenses their cash to the Medical Industry by funding “studies”, scholarships, fellowships, partnerships etc. Harvard recently decided to restrict ties to the industry?
5) Big Pharma also “pays off” or “contributes” to the American Diabetes Ass…. in 2008 they “contributed” $19+ million dollars to the ADA. Shouldn’t this be a conflict of interest????
6) American Diabetes Ass. – to complete the Money Trail… the ADA continues to promote a high carb meal plan, a meal plan that will guarantee a steady supply of not only new “customers” but will also cause existing “customers” to require more and more of Big Pharma’s “products”.
The ADA promotes a meal plan that REQUIRES diabetics to take DRUGS to treat the elevated blood sugars the foods cause.
Diabetes is a disease of elevated blood sugars. Why does the ADA promote a meal plan that raises blood sugars? I’ve asked them many times but I’ve never received an answer. I belive the ADA promotes a diabetes diet that raises blood sugars… to please it’s largest corproate donors… Big Pharma.
In 2008, Big Pharma paid the ADA $19 million dollars, a hell-u-va lot of money, but peanuts compared to the amount Big Pharma paid in 2012… a whopping $31 million. If the ADA discontinued promoting a meal plan that spikes blood sugars, would Big Pharma continue to pay millions upon millions of dollars?
One day I hope to find out.
Two Types of Cost
There are two types of costs, monetary costs and ‘quality of life’ costs. Both costs have been skyrocketing during the obesity and diabetes epidemics.
EVERY time the American Diabetes Association (ADA) or the Medical Industry advises a diabetic to eat ‘the ADA way’, the diabetic MUST “cover” the foods with drugs or insulin, or they are causing harm to every cell in their bodies. Regardless, eating foods that raise blood sugars increase revenue to drug companies and the Medical Industry.
When this happens, you the taxpayer and you the policyholder pay for it …. nothing is FREE!
And remember, a ‘cost’ is a revenue to Big Pharma and the Medical Industry. :(
The diabetic “pays” for this as well, not only with money but quality of life costs. Hundreds of thousands die each year due to diabetes worldwide.
Lower Your Blood Sugar Naturally
If your blood sugars are elevated and you cannot achieve truly normal blood sugars with diet alone…
READ MY BOOK! How to Reduce Blood Sugars.