One of the first foods that I gravitated towards after my Diabetes diagnosis (other than fatty meat) was… eggs. Eggs are a nearly perfect food and yes, eggs are diabetes friendly.
- Eggs are low carb
- Eggs contain nutritious fats and proteins
Before diabetes diagnosis I had greatly reduced my egg consumption, when I did eat them… I surrounded them with bread or biscuits and washed them down with sweet juices … you get the idea. However, since my diabetes diagnosis I eat a very low carb paleo diet, which includes a lot of EGGS! I usually eat one to two DOZEN eggs a week… every week. :)
I am not a “fancy” chef, I’m more like a “fry cook”! I had been making “scrambled eggs & stuff” for awhile when someone online said, ‘Hey, that looks like a frittata’. I didn’t realize it had a name. :) Frittatas are quick, easy and always delicious. Clean up can be a pain, but NOT if you use enough fat! :)
Frittata, You Must Break Eggs
Frittatas are made from eggs, meats and veggies, how can it not be delicious!!
It’s also low carb paleo! :)
Frittatas are actually easier to make than “Scrambled Eggs and Stuff” and EVEN easier to clean up too if you know how to do it. :)
Frittatas are Diabetes Friendly
Frittatas can include whatever you like to eat… any meat or veggie will do. This particular Frittata is made of Eggs, Pork Sausage and Collard Greens.
1) Cook meats & veggies in a cast iron skillet.
I usually brown the meat first and then add the vegetables. Cooking the veggies only for a minute or two.
For my “single serving” today, I used about 4 oz of sausage and approximately 1 cup of greens.
2) Pour 4-6 beaten eggs into skillet, on top of cooked meats and veggies….and season.
3) Cook for about 3 minutes, COVERED on medium heat. (Covered helps cook the eggs through out.)
4) While the eggs are frying on the stove top , turn oven on broil and make sure rack is on the top position.
5) Place skillet on the top rack, and check frequently, it will only take a couple of minutes. You can add cheese at this point or even butter to make a nice presentation. :)
6) Cut and EAT!!!! :)
Frittatas Made with Eggs
You can use more meat and eggs which will make a “thicker” Frittata… perfect for making larger meals for refrigerating / freezing later.
Carbs – with 4 eggs, less than 6g total.
Add approximately .5 grams of carbs per egg. Collards are about 3 grams per cup. Check your nutritional labels…AS ALWAYS!
Lower Your Blood Sugar Naturally
If your blood sugars are elevated and you cannot achieve truly normal blood sugars with diet alone…
READ MY BOOK! How to Reduce Blood Sugars.