Last week I started a new experiment … that’s also a new challenge. Here’s the first post, “Can Low Carb Paleo Cure Diabetes?“. The post addresses a nagging question…
- The experiment? Reduce all possible inflammatory foods.
- Would following strict low carb paleo cure my diabetes?
I successfully self manage my diabetes with diet and exercise. I know I am still diabetic, I’ve done the tests. Despite what you may hear… no one has a cure for diabetes. It is all hype to induce you to buy their books or services.
The above pictures is what many of my meals looked like. Many were even simpler… just ground beef and leafy green vegetables.
Why This Low Carb Paleo Experiment?
1) Primary Reason … In short, the experiment is to see if adhering to a strict very ‘low carb paleo’ meal plan for 30 days would affect my insulin sensitivity. In other words, can low carb paleo cure diabetes?
By going ‘strict’ paleo, I am reducing inflammatory agents to the best of my abilities (for 30 days) … that means no night shades, no dairy (no cheese, milk, cream, butter), no eggs … all of which *can* be inflammatory depending on many factors including genetics.
I will follow up this experiment with a slightly highER carb meal plan to test my insulin resistance… over a two week period.
Note: In case you are new here, I also always avoids grains including breads, cereals, pasta, cakes, cookies, rice, corn as well as legumes, vegetable oils etc. I primarily eat meats, vegetables and low carb fruits (rarely). Click here for my normal meal plan.
Unless I am experimenting like now, I usually eat less than 20g of Total Carbs per day and ALWAYS eat sub 50g of Total Carbs per day.
2) Secondary reasons… to see how my body responds concerning strength, energy levels. stamina, blood sugar levels, weight, blood pressure etc… with a very low carb paleo meal plan.
Week One Results
… it’s all good. :)
My Food Journal
Oh MY GOD! … I had over 70 grams of carbs!!! … for the week. LOL! (7 x 10.2 = 71.4 )
The biggest single change nutritionally speaking is the cessation of Heavy Cream. I drank cream in my coffee and it would account for approximately 9-10 grams of carbs and 1,000 – 1,200 calories per day.
Below is my Food Journal chart for the week.
** 10.2 TOTAL carbs per day … and yet I THRIVE and not just survive. Do not listen to anyone that tells you that you MUST eat carbs … it’s just not true. :)
1. As you can see my Fat % is still high at 60% … it would normally be in the 65% range.
2. Carbs and protein %’s are slightly higher than normal but the average grams for all three macronutrients (protein, fat and carbs) are lower.
3. Calories are approximately 1200 less… the cessation of cream alone explains the reduction in calories, carbs, protein and fat.
4. I am not keeping a tally but I’d say half the days I am eating one meal … the other half I’m eating only two meals.
Here is “My First Ever Food Journal” post, all of them since have been in this ballpark unless I am experimenting.
… so with the reduction in fuel… did I have a reduction in energy?
Maximum weighted vest decline push ups (20 lb vest w/ feet on the picnic table) and jump squats (with palms on the ground). = 174 push ups and 186 squats.
Two days ago I performed 30 minutes of plyometrics ‘for lunch’ and then that night … I performed intense cardio for an hour.
Today, I set an all time high in 45 lb Kettlebell Swings in 15 mins … 171! :)
That’s where the “AHHG!” comes from… I’ll be 51 years old in June.
I truly am THRIVING…and not just surviving.
Week One Summary
To sum it up, I don’t feel any more energetic nor do I feel less energetic. It’s only a week into the experiment but I really do not feel different at all …. which is GREAT!!! :)
The main thing I hope to ‘teach’ others is….
Do not blindly believe Conventional Wisdom. Question all that you hear… especially when those doing the talking benefit financially from the advice they give. I am specifically talking about doctors and diabetes educators (dietitians and nutritionists), most of whom (sadly) know very little about true nutrition.
A perfect example of this is the ‘lie’ that ‘we’ must eat 3-6 meals a day… or that ‘we’ must eat 120g of carbs daily to survive. … it’s a lie.
From this one post alone you know that I typically eat 1-2 meals a day and …. I am eating approximately 10g of carbs per day … far less than 120g.
Did I mention that I have normal blood sugar…and I am drug and insulin free??? :)
Reduce Your Blood Sugar the Warrior Way
Below is my personal ‘diabetes care’ manual. It is truly diabetes friendly, not Big Food, Big Pharma and Medical Industry friendly. Every person who follows my plan improves blood sugar control. Not coincidentally, each person who follows my diabetes care plan reduces the profits of Big Food, Big Pharma and the Medical Industry.