A key “ingredient” to my success is having flavorful low carb paleo alternatives, to higher carb foods. A perfect example is this Low Carb Paleo Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe. Foods need to be…
- made from ‘real food’ ingredients and of course low carb
- delicious and similar in texture to the high carb versions
Low Carb Paleo alternatives include noodle-less spaghetti, Steve’s World Famous Chili , Almond Flour Pizza and this Cauliflower Pizza. Not only are these low carb paleo, they are diabetes friendly. :)
The Cauliflower Pizza Crust was my first attempt at pizza, it was great to eat pizza again. Over the years I have gravitated to simpler foods so rarely prepare pizza except for special occasions… like a SUPER BOWL PARTY! :)
Low Carb Pizza Ingredients
Once I discovered this recipe and the others mentioned earlier, I KNEW I could do… LOW CARB Paleo!!!!
- 1 cauliflower head
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 3 tsp oregano
- 4 tsp parsley
- 3 tsp of Slap Ya Mama!
- pizza or alfredo sauce (optional – omit for lower carb) – I have omitted and I have used diced or chopped tomato, all three worked out well. I do NOT recommend using pizza sauce, too carby/sugary.
Toppings – can be whatever you like! Just make sure they are ‘low carb paleo’ of course. :) I’m a meat-lover myself so sausage, hams, beef, and even chicken are all fair game. For veggies I like green peppers, onions typically.
Add what YOU love! :)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease cookie sheet with butter
Pizza Crust Directions
- Microwave Cauliflower head in a large bowl for 5 minutes on HIGH, do NOT add water. You can steam and even boil, but you will need to press more moisture out.
- Allow the head to cool. Cut into smaller pieces and hand press to remove additional moisture. Place into a blender or food processor and process until uniform size, making sure there are no large chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, egg, Parmesan and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan (s). Sprinkle evenly with the spices and pepper.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
One of the most pleasant surprises about this pizza? The aroma of the crust ingredients heating up in the oven. I’ve never made homemade pizza before, the smell was intoxicating! Really. :)
Building a Low Carb Pizza
This is where it becomes… FUN!
To the crust, add sauce (optional, see note above) then toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.
Mix and match toppings on 1/2 or 1/4 … explore and have fun! :)
Not only is this a good low carb paleo pizza crust but it’s good for adapting and making cheesy bread sticks too! I have made these too, sorry no pictures.
** Note: For bread sticks – you can use the same process but place the “mixture” on parchment paper and flip once proper crispiness is achieved.
I’ve also made ‘sandwiches’ by putting meats between two pieces including eggs and I made a tuna melt once with added mozzarella cheese. Yum!!
I will close with my opening statement,
” A key “ingredient” to my success is having flavorful low carb paleo alternatives, to higher carb foods. A perfect example is this Low Carb Paleo Cauliflower Crust Pizza recipe. ”
My Diabetes Meal Plan ( a true diabetes diet, not like most of those promoted by American Diabetes Association)
Lower Your Blood Sugar Naturally
If your blood sugars are elevated and you cannot achieve truly normal blood sugars with diet alone…
READ MY BOOK! How to Reduce Blood Sugars.