Yesterday, Saturday 9/3/11 was INTERNATIONAL BACON DAY!!!
I posted about my celebratory meal which was my version of the “Bacon Explosion“, click here if you missed it. Mark schweigert and I had a friendly competition to see who could make the best … and he clearly won. However, as Mark said, ‘there are no losers’… and he was so right. :)
We called the competition the ‘Battle of the Bulge’. … next year we need to promote this in advance and have a much larger pool of participants. I’ve marked my calendar , have YOU? … it’s the Saturday before Labor Day. :)
Mark’s Winning Entry!
Mark posted all of his pictures on a Google Plus album, view all by clicking here.
2lbs of Fresh Circle Uncured bacon
1lbs ground venison (i harvested this myself last season)
1lbs ground pork from my local butcher
2oz Cabot Extra Sharp cheddar
2oz Cabot Habanero cheddar
1/2 green bell pepper
1 fresh onion from my dad’s garden
3 cloves of garlic
homemade BBQ sauce (http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/sog-zesty-bbq-zauce/)
Note: this stuff is better than any BBQ sauce I have ever had, I highly recommend it!!!
Natural wood charcoal for the smoker as well as natural hickory chips for the smoke!
1. I made the bacon weave the night before and seasoned it, then let it sit in the fridge covered up overnight.
2. Placed ground pork and ground deer in a bowl
3. Finely diced the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno and added to the pork/deer mixture then mixed well by hand.
4. Laid the mixture on top of the bacon weave and spread evenly across it
5. Added bacon cheese and BBQ sauce and rolled it up
6. Used a charcoal chimney to get the charcoal going (no lighter fluid here). Once the charcoal was all hot and going then I added the 3 tinfoil cups with soaked wood chips in them. Put the smoker back together with a whole chicken on the bottom rack and the bacon explosion on the top rack! Now waiting for another 2.5 more hours!!
Here is the MARVELOUSLY AWESOME RESULTS!
And thanks for letting me post your BACON EXPLOSION RECIPE AND PICTURES!!!